SCINTILLATING&SASSY ❝ musings of a 20-something year old ❞   |   about  ·   twitter   ·   flickr  ·   website   ·   etc   ·  follow   ·  





alexandria
Allie. 23 year-old post-grad in search of something.. BA in Media & Cinema Studies, minors in Photography & Digital Cinema. Left Chicago to go back 'home'. I'm inspired by everything & everyone. Love to create. Sucker for pretty things. Addicted to travel..some might call me a wanderlust.

xx

Instagram

@lixx

agenda
03/07 find a job
03/08 find a job
03/09 find a job
03/10 find a job
03/11 find a job


inspiration
black on black everything. london . photo. libra. fashion. travel. ⚜⚜⚜ Saints fan. football♥. lana del rey. long hair. espresso. boots. tights. pretty things. maps. equality. ♪♫♪. champagne. michigan everything. rainy days☔. communication & relationships.



twitter


connect
         


Blogs I Follow


disclaimer
I'm very thankful for my life; everything that I've experienced (good/bad) until now has made me who I am today. I may exaggerate a little occasionally, but this is a blog and I've got to keep you reading somehow! ;] Sometimes people drive me crazy, this doesn't mean I don't love them. Oh, and sorry in advance: I like to complain a bit.

Bottom line: Everyone has a story; here's a part of mine ...

All content and photos created by me, unless otherwise noted. Layout made by tkh. Social media icons by shrimp salad circus. Removing any credit is strongly discouraged. Realtalk.



© Alexandria Serrato 2012-2013



Archive



Hello hello!

How was everyone's 4th of July?
It was HOT in Chicago, and we've got a three-day Excessive Heat Warning in our midst. That said, my holiday was pretty low-key -- the university was closed so I didn't have class (!), but in addition to the weather, I had to study for today's "midterm" (ew). Only 2-3 days of class left, then I'm completely finished with my undergrad! It will be strange not identifying as a 'student' for the first time in 18 years, but I suppose I will always be a "student" of life. (hahah..)





That said -- I'm learning some profoundly basic (or basically profound?) things in these last two classes of my college career. Naturally, save the important ones for the last five weeks... (Who does that?)
I'm warning you, I'm in no place to give anyone advice, and these are some pretty common-sense ideas, but if you take them in and actually apply them, they'll probably dramatically change your life -- they are mine, anyway.



Some things:

  • Live fearlessly. Simple -- life is too short not to. You have no idea what might happen in five years (if you have five years), or even an hour from now! Take chances - don't be afraid of new things. If someone recognizes a skill in you that you've never noticed, pursue it! If you have a dream of any sort, go after it! We're so afraid of rejection, that we often don't even give ourselves the opportunity to get rejected! -- Don't sell yourself short, and others won't either ;]
  • Not everyone is going to like you -- that's okay! Let's face it, as humans, we all wish to belong to something in some way. That's cool and all, but you're not going to "belong" with everyone. If someone doesn't like you (and it's not because of a serious flaw that you should probably change anyway, like being a huge bitch ... ), it's not the end of the world. Don't give other people so much power over how you feel about yourself.. There's an awesome book we read in one of my classes this summer, that everyone should read: How To Keep People From Pushing Your Buttons 
  • Never settle! Now, this has been my thing for quite a while, and has kept me out of some serious situations for one reason or another..however, it's also lead me to some awesome places! I'm adding this here because my professor reiterates this to us every class, and I think it's important you're told the same. We're young, we're going to mess up -- it's not the end of the world. There's (hopefully) plenty of time for us to fix the things that go wrong and learn from them. Even if you think you're not-so-young (which you're probably wrong about..), you still have plenty of time to make mistakes -- If you hate your job, find a new one. (This is where I lose followers..) But trust me, there are a lot of ways to make less than $100k/year. Find one that makes you happy. ;]
  • See the world. One of my professors told us, "Your biggest asset is your passport." I know not everyone has the opportunity to travel where/whenever they want, for a number of reasons. But if you can at all, do it! See something, learn something. I never in a million years thought I would ever see London. Sure, I would dream about it, sigh to myself and think 'someday...' but it happened! Your entire perspective on life will change -- you'll realize you're not so important, how strange it is that things happen at all.. Being able to experience new things, new foods, new cultures, new people, ah everything!! There's nothing like going somewhere for the first time and having all your expectations broken, and in the process, finding out more about yourself. "The more you experience, the less you have to fear."
Finally, everyone has a story. We may not all have had the same opportunities or made the best decisions, but we are wherever we are for a reason..and there's a little part of everyone that wants to share that with someone. (..and I'm more than willing to listen. no creepy hah)

So now that I've shared with you some things that have changed my summer, just one more presentation and a final paper stand between me and checking my mailbox daily for that little piece of paper...

Now for the real challenge: taking my own advice.

Labels: ,

  Thursday, July 5, 2012   19:00   #   0 comments (+)

0 comments:

leave a comment



< O L D E R P O S T S | N E W E R P O S T S >



© All content and photos created by Alexandria Serrato, unless otherwise noted. [check the disclaimer]
Removing any credit is rude. Don't be rude.. ;] Yay! Hope you enjoyed your visit!